Ministers Martin and Chambers announce additional current funding of €65m for Sports Sector
From Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media
The Minister for Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media, Catherine Martin T.D., and the Minister of State with responsibility for Sport and the Gaeltacht, Jack Chambers T.D., announced today that additional current funding of up to €65 million will be available to support the sport sector this year. Allied to the additional current expenditure of €26.3 million already provided to Sport Ireland, a total of €91.3 million will have been allocated in additional current funding to support the sport sector in 2021.
This package is intended to support National Governing Bodies of Sport and sports clubs arising from the significant impact of COVID-19 restrictions on the sports sector, by providing specific funding support for the following sectors;
• Field Sport funding to support the main field sports, i.e. the FAI, the GAA and the IRFU;
• A Resilience Fund to support the other National Governing Bodies of Sport;
• A Sports Club Resilience Fund to support clubs from all sports;
• A Swimming Pools/Facilities Fund;
• A Resumption of Sport & Physical Activity Fund.
The above schemes will be run by Sport Ireland and the funding will be distributed through the National Governing Bodies of Sport.