The Minister for Social Protection, Heather Humphreys, and the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Michael McGrath, have announced the payment dates for the €1.2 billion cost of living supports introduced as part of last month’s Budget.
The Social Protection budget – the largest in the history of the State – will assist pensioners, carers, people with disabilities and families with the cost of living through a mix of lump sum supports and increases to weekly payments.
The lump sum payments announced as part of the Budget include:
- A doubling of Child Benefit on 1 November, which will support 639,000 families in respect of 1.2 million children.
- An Autumn double payment next week, benefitting 1.4 million people.
- A €500 Disability Support Grant will be paid next month to people with disabilities.
- A €400 Fuel Allowance lump sum payment. This will be paid on the week commencing 14 November to 370,000 households. During the same week, a €500 lump sum Working Family Payment will be paid to 44,000 households.
- A €200 lump sum payment to the 234,000 people in receipt of the Living Alone Allowance.
- A €500 Carer’s Support Grant will be provided to the country’s carers during the week commencing 21 November.
- A Christmas Bonus double payment will be paid on the week commencing 5 December.
Announcing the details, Minister Humphreys and Minister McGrath said the lump sum payments are designed to assist families and individuals across the State with the cost of living.
The payment dates for each of the Lump Sum Supports are outlined below:
|Budget 2023 Measure||Payment date|
|Autumn cost of living double payment||Week commencing 17 October 2022|
|Double Child Benefit payment||1 November 2022|
|Fuel Allowance lump sum of €400||Week commencing 14 November 2022|
|€200 payment to people in receipt of Living Alone Allowance||Week commencing 14 November 2022|
|€500 cost of living payment to those in receipt of Working Family Payment||Week commencing 14 November 2022|
|€500 Disability Support Grant to people receiving Disability Allowance, Blind Pension and Invalidity Pension||Week commencing 14 November 2022|
|€500 Carer’s Support Grant||Week commencing 21 November 2022|
In addition, Minister Humphreys and McGrath confirmed that the annual Christmas Bonus double payment will be paid the week commencing 5 December.
In addition to the series of lump sum payments, Minister Humphreys also secured a major expansion of the Fuel Allowance scheme – which will see up to 81,000 new households supported with their fuel cost for the first time – and across-the-board welfare increases of €12 per week. These measures will take effect in January 2023.
Click Here to Read the Full Press Release.